The Adelaide Central Market is a popular destination for school aged children to learn about fresh produce, multi-cultural cuisine and finance. Schools are welcome to visit the Market on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays during open hours, for a self/school guided visit (all schools must complete the school visit form).
There are a number of great activities for your school to do as part of your visit to the Adelaide Central Market such as:
• Use worksheets from our Adelaide Central Market’s Brain Food program (see below) to assist with your visit, please view the ‘School Education Pack’ tab.
• Provide an allocated budget for each student to purchase a selected item from within the Market for a shared lunch. Victoria Square is within walking distance and provides a large space for you class to enjoy a shared lunch outside.
• Purchase fresh fruit and vegetables from within the Market to take back to school to recreate a yummy recipe from our website.
Please note school visits are limited to 120 students per group
Adelaide Central Market’s Brain Food
The Adelaide Central Market’s Brain Food program was designed to communicate to school aged children the importance of food, culture, sustainability and how this relates to the community in which they live. The Education Pack worksheets have been designed to complement the national curriculum and can be used as a teachers aid and includes education themes including Food Hygiene & Safety and Business Studies.
The documents are available to teachers in both ‘word’ and as PDF’s so that the content may be changed to suit their subject matter.
- Education Pack Overview
- Food Hygiene – Word
- Food Hygiene – PDF
- Local Food Production – Word
- Local Food Production – PDF
- Starting A Business – Word
- Starting A Business – PDF
Please note current COVID-19 requirements for school visits:
- Wear masks, when age appropriate
- Parents and teachers should use the QR check-in located at the entrances
- Students should be divided into smaller groups during the visit
- Any gathering (ie for student briefing, recess or lunch) should not occur in the Market (Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga is a suitable and convenient location)
- With limited seating we ask that school groups do not sit in the communal dining areas – these are reserved for customers dining at the surrounding cafes
School Lunch Packages
Atlas Continental has made your school visit lunch easy with a liddle lunch package on offer for your students.
Choose from four options:
- Roast chicken, cheese, lettuce and mayonnaise
- Leg ham, cheese and salad
- Mild salami, cheese and tomato
- Mild brie, ham, cranberry and baby spinach
Liddle lunch package costs $5 and includes a small filled roll and apple.
Additional small juice $3.00 and 600ml water $1.50.
Please note bookings are essential at least 1 week prior to school visit and will require a deposit.
Please contact Marty from Atlas on 0400 202 462 for all bookings and enquires.
- CONFIRMATION - Adelaide Central Market (ACM) will contact you via phone or email within 48 hours of receiving the Booking Form. All bookings are subject to daily limits and availability. Submission of this form does not guarantee your visit.
- CANCELLATIONS - Cancellations require a minimum notice of 3 business working days.
- COMPLIANCE - The school representatives will use their best endeavours to ensure that the visit is conducted in an orderly and non-disruptive manner. Please ensure your group does not obstruct our stallholders and customers shopping. ACMA reserves the right to exclude or eject any and all persons from the premises without liability.
- SAFETY - Teachers and Guardians are responsible for the safety and behaviour of their group of students. At least 1 teacher/guardian must be present for every 6 children in the group, to ensure the safety of the students and to allow for adequate supervision. Please ensure that your group is split up accordingly around the Market as to not obstruct customers or stall holders.