Spiced French Toast with Roasted Rhubarb
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 150 ml milk
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 8 slices thick crusty sourdough bread
- 300 g pot Honey & Vanilla Yoghurt
- 8 stems rhubarb
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp chopped glacee ginger
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- To prepare the rhubarb cut it into 10cm lengths. Place in a shallow roasting pan.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, orange juice & ginger together over a medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour mixture over the rhubarb, cover with foil & cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil & cook for a further 15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, but still holding its shape.
- Remove from oven & set aside to cool to room temperature.
- For the French toast whisk the eggs & milk together in a bowl until well combined & on a separate plate combine sugar & cinnamon together for later.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat & melt a little of the butter.
- Dip two slices of bread at a time into the egg mixture, place in pan & fry for 1–2 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Remove the French toast from the pan & dip on both sides in the cinnamon sugar. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Serve two slices of French toast topped with slow roasted rhubarb & a dollop of vanilla yoghurt per person.
Three ways with rhubarb:
- For an easy compote, trim & slice a bunch of rhubarb into 5cm pieces. Wash under cold water, place in a large mixing bowl with 1/3 cup caster sugar & 125g raspberries, tossing until evenly coated. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat & add rhubarb mixture, turning every 2–3 minutes to prevent sugar from burning. Cook until fruit becomes soft & sugar caramelises.
- The roasted rhubarb in this recipe can also be used to top custard tarts, a pavlova, rice pudding or folded through whipped cream with crushed meringue for a quick fruit fool.
- rhubarb crumble is so quick, simply cook a bunch of trimmed, chopped & washed rhubarb with 1/3 cup caster sugar for 5 minutes or until soft. For the crumble, rub 125g each of our, butter, sugar together with 1/4 cup each of oats & almonds & 1 teaspoon ground ginger, until mixture is well combined & looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Bake in 180°C oven for 30 minutes or until crumble is golden.