Rainbow Chard, Fennel & Lemon Risotto with Chilli
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 large leek, finely chopped (white part only)
- 1 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 long red chilli, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1 bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice (400g)
- 1/2 cup vermouth (125ml)
- 1 1/2 litres hot vegetable stock
- 2 tsp lemon thyme
- 2 tsp finely chopped preserved lemon
- 300 g rainbow chard, kale, silverbeet or spinach
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp crispy fried capers
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- Place olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the leek, garlic, chilli and fennel, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until leek and fennel are soft but not coloured.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add rice, stirring until well-coated and beginning to crackle. Quickly add vermouth, stirring until absorbed.
- Add ladlefuls of hot stock, stirring continuously until absorbed, continuing until all the stock has been added and the risotto has become thick and creamy.
- Add the thyme, preserved lemon, rainbow chard for the final 5 minutes of cooking, followed by the final ladleful of stock. Once the stock has been absorbed, cover and allow the risotto to stand for 10 minutes.
- To finish risotto, add parmesan and seasoning, stirring until well combined.