Mixed nut rice pilaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40 g butter
- 1 large brown onion, peeled & finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 2 cups Basmati rice, rinsed
- pinch saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tbsp mixed peel
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 625 ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil & butter together over a medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, cardamom & turmeric, cover & cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add rice, saffron, mixed peel, currants & cranberries stirring until well combined, then add stock & bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover & simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender & liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, cover with a tea towel & stand for 10 minutes, or until crumble is golden.
- Add pistachios, almonds, walnuts, coriander, mint & season to taste.
three ways with nuts:
- To make almond biscuits cream 125g butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar & 1 teaspoon orange zest together until light & fluffy. Add one egg, beating to combine. Add 2 cups sifted plain our, 1 teaspoon baking powder & 1 cup slivered almonds stirring until combined. Place spoonfuls of dough on baking tray & bake in 180°C oven for 12–15 minutes.
- Make a pesto by combining 1 chopped clove garlic, 3 cups basil leaves, 1 cup each of cashew nuts & parmesan together in a food processor. Blitz until mixture is finely chopped. Add enough olive oil to create a smooth paste.
- Sprinkle mixed nuts over porridge, fruit salad & yoghurt, green salad, pancakes to add bite & texture to a dish.