Chocolate, Beetroot & Walnut Brownies
- 220g beetroot
- 250g unsalted butter diced
- 180g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 2 tsp orange zest finely grated
- 250g rapadura sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole meal plain flour sifted
- 1/4 cup coca sifted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square brownie tin with baking paper.
- Place beetroot in small saucepan covered in water, over a medium-high heat. Bring to boil and cook until tender.
- Drain, allow to cool, before removing skin and cutting into chunks. Place beetroot chunks in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, chocolate, zest and sugar together over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Add pureed beetroot, eggs, flour, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger and walnuts, stirring until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out of centre with moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.