- 2 kg pork spare ribs
- 1 L pomegranate juice
- 1 brown onion, peeled & quartered
- 4 cm piece ginger, sliced into 5mm thick pieces
- 3 star anise
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander root
- 3/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- seeds of a large pomegranate
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- juice of a lime
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
sweet & sour sauce
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
- Place ribs in a large roasting pan, add juice, onion, ginger, star anise & coriander root.
- Tightly cover with foil & bake in preheated oven for 2 & 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the sweet & sour sauce together over a medium-low heat. Bring to the boil & cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat & allow to cool.
- Remove ribs from oven, drain off cooking liquid & remove aromatics. Turn the oven off.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the ribs, cover with foil & refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- An hour before serving remove ribs from refrigerator, so they come up to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- Place ribs in oven & cook for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- For the salsa, combine all the ingredients together in a small serving bowl. Serve ribs with salsa scattered over the top.
Three ways with pomegranates:
- Combine 1 cup fresh pomegranate juice with 1/2 cup caster sugar in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil & cook for 2 minutes. Syrup is a great cordial, base for a cocktail, poured over fruit salad or served with waffles.
- Add seeds of a pomegranate to a green bean, snow pea, zucchini, mint & feta salad.
- Poach quinces or pears in pomegranate juice with spices like star anise, cinnamon, cloves & vanilla for a delicious alternative to red wine.