- 5 cm piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 stalk of spring onion, finely grated
- 1/4 cup salt flakes
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- Additional spring onion to serve, sliced
- 1.6-1.7 kg fresh free-range corn fed chicken
- 4 L chicken stock or water
- soy sauce
- Fresh ginger, finely grated
- Fresh red chilli, sliced
- For the marinade, squeeze grated ginger into a small bowl to create 1 tablespoon of ginger juice.
- Next squeeze the grated spring onion into the same bowl creating 1 teaspoon of spring onion juice.
- Add salt and Shaoxing wine, stirring to combine.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken, including inside the cavity.
- Place in a non-metallic bowl covered with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- To poach the chicken, bring stock or water to the boil in a large saucepan and carefully submerge the chicken in the liquid.
- Return the stock to the boil and remove from heat. Allow chicken to stand for 30 minutes for a 1.6kg bird and 40 minutes for a 1.7kg bird.
- Carefully remove chicken from hot poaching liquid and plunge into ice cold water to stop the cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock back to the boil. Add chilled chicken, remove from heat and poach for further 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove cooked chicken from stock and drain. Cut the chicken into portions (called jointing) and slice the breast meat.
- Serve the chicken with rice made using the poaching liquid and the absorption method.
- Sprinkle sliced spring onion curls over the chicken.
- Serve with a dipping sauce made from soy sauce mixed with ginger and red chilli pounded together with a mortar and pestle.