- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup golden caster sugar
- 60 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g good quality dark chocolate
- 150 g good quality milk chocolate
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 300 ml pure cream
- 300 g mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced), lightly grease a 25cm round loose bottom fluted tart tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Place almonds and sugar in a food processor, pulsing until mixture resembles a fine crumb.
- Add melted butter and vanilla extract, pulsing until mixture is well combined and starts coming together.
- Pour almond mixture into prepared tart tin, pressing firmly and evenly into the bottom and sides of the tin.
- Place tart tin on a baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove tart shell from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the chocolate mousse, pour boiling water into a large saucepan, about a quarter full and sit a large bowl on top, making sure the bottom does not touch the water.
- Add chocolate, stirring occasionally until chocolate melts. Remove bowl from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick and mousse like.
- Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate, folding gently to combine.
- In a large clean mixing bowl, whisk cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add a third of the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture, folding gently to combine, to help loosen the mixture. Add remaining cream, folding gently until combined.
- To assemble tart, spoon chocolate mousse into the cooled tart shell, spreading evenly with the back of the spoon.
- Place in refrigerator and chill for 2 hours, to allow mousse to set.