- 1 kg mussels, cleaned, drained and rinsed*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 chorizo sausage, skinned and diced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (eg. Fino or Amontillado) or dry white wine
- 3 large vine tomatoes, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil, onion and garlic in a large deep sauté pan, over a medium low heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Add smoked and sweet paprika, and chorizo to onion mixture, increasing heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sherry to the pan and reduce by a half before adding tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, before seasoning well with black pepper.
- Finally add mussels to pan, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until shells open. To finish, sprinkle over parsley and serve with crusty bread.