- 1 kg desiree potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- salt flakes
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 100 g 'OO' plain flour
- 20 g butter
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 100 g gorgonzola dolce*, crumbled
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
- grated parmesan, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 200 ̊C (180 ̊C fan-forced).
- Place whole potatoes, (skins on) in preheated oven and cook for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Halve each hot potato and scoop out flesh into a bowl, discarding skins.
- Using a potato ricer, mash potato into a clean bowl. Whilst still warm, add yolks, parmesan, salt and nutmeg, mixing until well combined.
- Add flour and gently knead mixture to a smooth dough, on a clean lightly floured surface.
- Evenly divide dough into four pieces and roll each into 2cm wide sausages, dusting with extra flour.
- Lay sausages side by side and using a knife cut gnocchi into 2cm pieces. To shape gnocchi, use a gnocchi board or fork to create grooves on one side and an indent on the other, to help the sauce coat the gnocchi.
- For the sauce, melt butter in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook for 10 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Add stock, increase heat to medium and reduce by half. Add cream, gorgonzola and spinach, stirring until cheese melts and spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper.
- To cook gnocchi, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a gentle boil. Carefully place gnocchi in water and cook for 2-3 minutes or until gnocchi floats to the top. Using a slotted spoon remove from pan and add to sauce, tossing gently to coat.