Festive Cranberry, Smoked Bacon & Pistachio Turkey Roll
- 2.2kg Turkey breast with skin on
- 50g butter butter, melted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- ½ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- ½ cup pistachio kernals, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 1 extra-large free range egg, lightly beaten
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced).
- For the stuffing, heat olive oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs, zest, cranberries, pistachios, sage, parsley, capers and season with salt and pepper, stirring until well combined. Add the cooked onion mixture and egg stirring until well combined. Set aside until required.
- To prepare turkey, place breast skin side down on a chopping board lined with plastic wrap. Turn the tenderloin to the outside and using a sharp knife carefully cut through the thick part of the breast, starting from the centre towards the opposite end from the tenderloin, stopping 2cm before the end. Carefully open it out to create a rough rectangular shape. Place a second piece of plastic wrap on top and using a rolling pin or the flat side of a mallet pound the meat, pushing outwards until the breast is approximately 3cm thick. Remove the plastic wrap from both sides.
- Carefully spread the stuffing over the flattened breast and roll up from the cut end towards the tenderloin, making sure the skin is covering the outside. Using butchers string, tie the breast up firmly at 5cm intervals. Brush the outside with butter and season generously with salt and pepper. Weigh the stuffed turkey roll, to work out the cooking time at 40 minutes per kg.
- Place turkey roll in a large roasting pan and pour wine and stock around it. Cover tin with foil and place in preheated oven for the calculated cooking time. Remove the foil for the final 30 minutes of cooking, to allow the skin to become golden. Remove from oven, place turkey roll on a serving plate and loosely cover with foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve turkey roll sliced with gravy to accompany.