- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled & finely diced
- 150g button mushrooms, finely diced
- 700ml bottle tomato passata
- 600g Italian pork sausages
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick saute pan over a low heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and mushroom, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Meanwhile to make meatballs, squeeze sausage mince out of casing into ½ tablespoon measures and shape into balls. If the mixture is sticky, roll balls with wet hands.
- Heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add meatballs in two batches, cooking for 4-5 minutes and turning regularly until evenly golden. Place meatballs on a plate until required.
- Add passata and 1 cup water to the onion mixture and increase heat to medium. Add browned meatballs and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add basil.
- Serve meatballs with spaghetti and parmesan.