Caramelised pear & ginger crumble
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup verjuice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp chopped glace ginger
- 6 Beur Bosc pears, peeled, cored & cut into chunks
- 125 g plain flour
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 125 g brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- In a medium saucepan, place sugar, dessert wine & verjuice together over a low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to the boil, before adding cinnamon, ginger & pear. Simmer for 4 minutes, then remove from heat.
- For the crumble, rub the flour, butter, sugar, oats, coconut & ginger together until mixture is well combined & looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a large ovenproof dish or six individual ones & sprinkle over the crumble.
- Place baking dish on an oven tray & bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
three ways with pears:
- The classic Italian salad of sliced pear, baby rocket leaves, shaved parmesan with a balsamic dressing is a perfect partner for steak.
- Peel six rm pears & poach in a spiced red wine syrup using a bottle of red wine, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 star anise, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 vanilla bean & a strip of orange peel.
- For a delicious soup roast 1kg peeled chopped pumpkin & 500g peeled chopped pears with 1/4 cup olive oil in a 180°C oven for 1 hour. In a large saucepan, cook 1 chopped onion until soft, add 1 chopped clove garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes. Add roasted pumpkin & pear, 1 & 1/4 ltrs vegetable stock & simmer for 15 minutes. Puree until smooth & season to taste.